Leak Allowance - Aqwest

Customers may be granted a “leak allowance” from their water utility if they have experienced an increase in water consumption due to a hidden leak in their irrigation system. For an application to be considered by your water utility, an appropriate form will need to be completed which may need to be signed by an endorsed Waterwise Garden Irrigator. Please check with your local utility water authority for any updates.

Leak Allowance Application
Eligibility and Criteria

Aqwest supplies water to the water meter however, property owners are responsible for the cost of any water registered on the water meter and for maintaining the internal water service in good condition.

If you have had a leak at the property, this will affect the amount of water you have used. If the leak has been repaired by a licenced plumber or a Waterwise Garden Irrigator (WGI), then you may be eligible for an allowance to offset a portion of the water used.

Application criteria

  • Repairs must be completed by a licensed plumber, or in the case of a leak in garden reticulation an accredited Waterwise Garden Irrigator (WGI), who has completed an Aqwest Leak Allowance claim form
  • The water loss is not visible and is supported by the leak allowance claim form.
  • The leak allowance application form must be provided to Aqwest within one
  • month of the date of repair
  • The leak must be repaired within 1 month from the identification of the leak
  • A leak allowance will only be assessed on values greater than $250.00 per claim. Claims of a lesser value will not be considered
  • A leak allowance will only be granted to a property owner once every 5 years
  • An allowance would be considered only after a plumber’s or a Waterwise garden irrigator’s (WGI) report showing the irrigation system has been brought up to irrigation industry standards (including a Watermark certified manual isolation valve and master solenoid) and with all leaks repaired.